Sunday, April 5, 2015

Questions on Tree of Life

        After watching a movie as complex and difficult as Tree of Life, I think we can all agree that we have some questions we would like answers to. Mine come from all different parts of the movie, but I'll start with the ones that came first. The first thing that came to my attention was why is there no dialogue? Basically the only talking there is is a bunch of whispered voiceovers of our three main characters. I don't know if it alters my rating of the movie or not, but it is just something that I am not used to. My second question is about the fifteen minute graphic sequence about the creation of the universe. I understood the sequence was a visual representation of Gods seven day creation, but why did it have to be so long? Also I could have sworn I saw some bits of evolutionary ideas in the images, which leads to my next question: was this movie meant to be religious and show that faith is the only way to save your soul, or was it a movie that represented the dangers of blind faith and that your happiness depends on yourself? There is evidence to support both, in my opinion. My fourth question is about the ending, where all the people of the past are in the ocean. I understand that it represents souls finding each other in eternity, but why was everyone the way they were when Jack was a child? Nobody had aged, but they all lived on after Jack wasn't a child. My last question is about the little flickers of light that sometimes appear in the movie. They look like obscure candle flames that appear when a narrator whispers something important, but WHAT DO THEY MEAN? They drove me crazy the whole movie because I didn't understand their significance.

No comments:

Post a Comment